Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Soaked

Every freaking day for seven freaking months I have been carrying that stupid hat to work.

Every single freaking day.

And usually carrying it or strapping it to my lunchbox because it's too dang hot to wear the stupid thing.

This afternoon I stepped outside and felt how hot and humid it was and I said "You know what? I'm not bringing the stupid hat today. It's not supposed to rain so I'm leaving that thing at home!"

Of course you know what happened next.

Just as soon as I stepped through the door of the control center and inside the fence it started pouring down. I just stood there for about five minutes under the awning, watching it rain thinking "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!" Knew it would take me twenty minutes to drive home for the hat, so that wasn't an option.

Finally I just shrugged and walked out into the downpour through the fence over to central. Of course everyone else came over before it started raining, so they were sitting inside nice and dry. Me, I am completely soaked. I grab a handful of paper towels and mop off my head and clean my glasses.

JonT comes up to me and says "I've heard the expression before but never really knew what they meant by it. But you look just like a drowned rat!"

Thanks pal. I needed that.

Grab my lunchbox and slog my way up to the shack in the rain. I'm not really getting any wetter at this point. Already reached the saturation point.

A couple of day shift folks are leaving and one of them says "This rain feels kind of good!" To which I reply "Yeah, but my underwear is already soaking wet and my day just started!"

What I didn't realize was that somewhere between central and the shack the rain got to my radio and shorted something out, which left my mike locked open and everyone on the camp now knew that my underwear was wet. It apparently broadcast loud and clear.

**sigh** Oh, boy.

By the time I got that sorted out..... and for the rest of the night really, I had to listen to everyone commenting about my underwear.

If nothing else, I was comic relief.

One more "of course" to add. When I went back up to get a new radio I ran out to the truck to get my raincoat. By that time, of course, it had quit raining.

Yeah.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is going to be National Ice Cream Day and National Caviar Day. Hopefully not both at the same time. It will also be International Mandela Day.

Re-freaking-joice!

5 comments:

  1. Um....Not to distract from your rainy adventure, but what the hell is http://fabatypicalheadachethirdshiftcheese.blogspot.com/????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now for the rest of that comment that did not make in on the first pass...

      What hat are we talking about? I know of the Indy hat you so cherish, but this one sounds like a rain hat, like those old paper hats kids in the 50's use to fashion that looked like boats on their heads.

      Delete
    2. Scotty- Not my favorite Indy hat. That big stupid sombrero they gave me when I promoted. Too hot in the summer and not warm enough in the winter. But at least it would have kept the rain off of my head.

      If I would have brought it, that is.

      Delete
  2. Yup...forget the hat (or brolly) and it's a guaranteed thundershower!

    That pic of the koala is freaky...like one of those nasty gremlins.

    Okay, I'm breaking down and having ice cream...seems there's just no escaping it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny- Yeah. I screwed up there, all right.

      And that koala pic kind of freaked me out, too.

      It does seem to be an ice cream kind of month, doesn't it?

      Delete