Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Wild Postcards From The Edge (Part 1)


So I get this postcard in the mail the other day. I look at it and read it and think "What the snap?" There's no return address. No name. My name and addy is typed on there with a typewriter. Portland, OR postmark.

I puzzle over it for awhile. Finally I thought to myself "That looks like Doc's handwriting. And this sort of thing is right down his alley. I'll bet that's who it is."

So I send an email to my old buddy Doc back home in Portland. I'd looked up the quote online and it was from Jack Handey, who used to be a regular on "Saturday Night Live". I basically said "Okay, pal. You got me."

He had no idea what I was talking about.

The next day I get two more postcards in the mail. This one:
And this one:
Okay, that first one mentioned my sister. So I sent her an email and asked "Did you set me up?"

"Oh, yeah. I did."

"I got the first one from Doc, I think."

"I didn't send him one."

Oops. Guess I'm not a handwriting expert, after all.

"So how many postcards can I expect and from where?"

"I dunno. People got crazy and it got out of hand. I have no idea."

Oh..... my.

The following day I get just the one:
And before you even ask, I have no idea who Josh's Mom is. I don't think Jack Handey sent me the first one and I don't believe George W. Bush sent me that pirate one, either. But that might have been Josh's Mom. I don't know.

They might be clever forgeries.

So anyway, there's the first four. I have seven more to scan in and my sister says "Expect more."

I have an interesting family.

So Wednesday is going to be Kite Flying Day, Boy Scout Day, Laugh and Get Rich Day, Opera Day and Molasses Bar Day.

Mmmm... sticky.....

9 comments:

  1. Great postcards...want one from New Zealand?

    I once sent four cards, a week apart; no return addy, no name...just lots of words for thought (as opposed to food for thought)...was fun!

    Enjoy the mystery - and start collecting postcard - those look great!

    Cheers, Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny- I'd take one, as long as I knew who sent it! (grin) I've thought about doing that myself. I should have.

      Delete
  2. That is funny haha. I tried that with texts to my brother but he knows my number....curse you smart phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ- Does he know Vinnie's handwriting? You two could put your heads together and really mess with somebody's mind....

      Delete
  3. I was going to point out that the first one was a Jack Handey bit but you beat me to it, darn it. What's the fun of coming here if I can't spot trivial references like that and brag about it in the comments!? ;D

    Also, when that 2nd one mentioned your sister, my thought was, "Oh no, there's some psychopathic ex-inmate looking for revenge." I think I've seen too many movies. Tell me I'm not completely crazy; tell me you didn't think that for a second too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan- I do worry about that quite often. Some of them know where I live.

      Maybe you can help me figure out some of the rest of these!

      Delete
  4. Those are some really interesting pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanel- I want to know where did she find so many Japanese postcards? Or did she just tell all of these people "Send my brother a Japanese postcard" and let them find their own?

      Delete