Saturday, February 18, 2012

That Family Feeling

I know I've done my share of complaining about the people who work here in Raccoon City. Some of them, us, me are certifiable lunatics and a good number of the remainder are just freaking idiots.

Myself included, of course.

And we fight all of the time between each other. We fight between shifts and we fight between ranks and we fight from A-side to B-side and from house to house.

In some very strange and twisted way that I'm sure Uncle Sigmund would have loved to analyze we are like a very large, convoluted and sometimes homicidal family.

There are tons of the bratty spoiled cousins that always want to hog up all the food and break your favorite toys. Hordes of overly friendly matron aunts that always want to pinch your cheeks and say creepy things like "You look so cute I could just eat you up!"

And we have a battalion of elderly uncles that always want you to stop and listen to the same old story over and over even though you've heard it a bazillion times, about how they lost both legs in Korea (while standing there on two perfectly good legs) and how things were either much better or worse (or sometimes both) back in the old days.

We have scads and scatterings of grandmothers and grandfathers who bring in food for everybody and don't really do all that much but you get fed well when they are around.

And we have a very few cool uncles who are older and seem a bit dangerous when you look at them but if you listen long enough they will actually teach you stuff that might come in handy.

And if you are really in need, there's always someone around willing to lend a hand or a sawbuck or at least a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to cry on. Or come and help fix your roof when it blows off.

In short, we are a family. As much as it pains me to admit it sometimes. We don't always show it, but sometimes it comes out anyways.

The other night was a good example. Young Porcupine, who took my old job in the Comm room and yard, had won tickets to a concert by listening to the radio and being the correct caller. George Strait or someone like that. He was all excited. Never been to a concert before in his life and his young bride had never been either.

What are these kids doing nowadays? I think I went to my first concert when I was around fourteen or fifteen. Ted Nugent, I think it was. With Blue Oyster Cult, Heart and Derek and the Dominoes.

Anyway, he had asked for the day off and Lt Sienna said he was too short and couldn't let him off. Porcupine was bummed. He asked Sgt Archer if he would get into trouble if he called in sick that night. Sgt Archer said "Well, yeah. Since you posted on Facebook that you won those tickets, dummy! They'll know you aint sick!"

Uncle Scary heard the story and went to talk to Captain CJ. She got on the phone and arranged for someone to swap a day with him so he could take himself and his wife to their first concert.

That was real nice of her and she didn't have to do it. But she did just because she cares about the people under her and wants them to be happy. And just because she's awesome like that.

Just don't piss her off. Good Lawsy no. She can ruin your entire day with a look.

But anyway, that's the kind of place we have here. Sometimes you can't stand to be around most of them, but when it comes down to the wire we stick up for each other and sometimes even show that somewhere deep down inside that brusque unfeeling semi-psychotic exterior, we are human beings after all.

And that aint bad.

I'll be back at work again on Sunday. With postcards, unless something extraordinary happens.

Saturday is going to be National Battery Day, Cow Milked While Flying In An Airplane Day (really?), Pluto Is A Planet Day and Drink Wine Day.

Sunday will be National Chocolate Mint Day, Iwo Jima Day and the beginning of Shrovetide.

Please choose a designated driver!

8 comments:

  1. That was pretty awesome of Captain CJ. I wish I could do something 1/3 as cool for my people one day. I get my FTO classes next week!

    You know Rev, it really is true, we are the largest and most eclectic I've known. There are the cool ones, the creeps, the old , and the young. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. Well…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sgt Drew- Wish you could pick and choose sometimes, don't you? I know I do...

      Delete
  2. When coworkers work well together, it is like a big, dysfunctional family! My first concert was The Cars! I remember waiting in line at a Ticketron outlet (no internet in those days, baby!) to buy tickets when they went on sale! Man, I'm OLD!
    BTW, I HATE Blogger's new word verification! Get rid of it, PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolamouse- I think I saw the Cars once. But there are a few concerts I don't remember at all... (grin)

      And I hate the new veri word thing too. Thinking about dropping it all together.

      Delete
  3. That's really nice that she did that. And if it's a George Strait concert, I'm envious. I've seen a lot of concerts in my day, but I have yet to see George Strait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanel- Captain CJ is a sweetheart. I'm not a big fan of country, but I've heard George puts on a good show.

      Delete
  4. Blue Oyster Cult was my first concert as well. Black Oak Arkansas and Billy Squire were the other two bands. I had just turned 17.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue Oyster Cult was my first concert as well. Black Oak Arkansas and Billy Squire were the other two bands. I had just turned 17.

    ReplyDelete