Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Chose The Lesser Of...

Sgt Banty was supposed to be in the control center tonight but he volunteered to go on an outcount so I got a choice when I came in.

Do I want to be the control center sergeant again or do I want to spend six hours in a state car driving half way across the state and back with a compulsive chatterer?

Oh yeah. I took the control center. Hands down. Besides, I had Stubby and Miz Twang up there! Please. Pfft!

Stubby had the desk and I traded back and forth with Miz Twang for the doors as needed. We worked together well (just like before) and got through everything just fine. I got to do a few vaguely Sergeant-like things.

Trying to work into it slowly.

Spent a bit of time printing out some policy that I'm going to need to brush up on fairly quickly. Our annual ratings are due at the beginning of the year and I don't even know how to rate them or who I am going to have to rate just yet.

So when the time comes (sometime in the next two weeks) I'm going to have to bust my behind to get them done in time.

Yikes! Study, study, study...

There was one sour note that I saw today. They warned us about sour grapes the other day when we all got promoted. And I noticed a couple of people who shot me snotty looks or wouldn't even look at me on the way out this evening. All people who had interviewed when I did.

Really? We were friends on Tuesday. Okay, whatever....

They'll either get over it or they won't. I don't really care either way but it did hurt my feelings a little bit. Ah well. We'll see what happens. I'm going to do my job the best I can and my entire ultimate goal is going to be exactly the same. To make sure that my crew gets to go home safely at the end of the night.

That's never going to change as long as I'm inside the fence. Period.

So on with the weekend lineup:
Saturday: National Maple Syrup Day, Asarah B'Tevet, and Wright Brothers Day.
Sunday: National Roast Suckling Pig Day and International Migrants day.
Monday: Oatmeal Muffin Day, National Hard Candy Day and the day For South-South Cooperation.

Can't they even get along with each other? Sheesh!

4 comments:

  1. It's funny how some people act. They wish you all the best and then when you do better than them they take it personal. Silly dummies!! Haha. I am not one of those folks. Even if I would have went for Sgt. You deserve what you got buddy. You put in the work so if they want to have a problem with it, then they should try harder next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who can't be happy for you in your success even while disappointed in their own failure are not very nice people. Which is probably why they didn't get the promotion in the first place. You don't want people like that in charge of other people.

    I hope you don't get too overwhelmed in the meantime! Have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running in to the same problem, Rev.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally had time to stop by for a bit to offer my official written "Congratulations" to you (and to Drew, also!) Don't worry about the sour grapes. This too shall pass. We love you and were all rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete