Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Help!

Help!

I need some body!

Help!

I need anybody!

Help!!!

You know I need someone....... Help!

That's the way the Beatles said it. We just call 10-5 over the radio.

It's much easier to say but less musical our way.

But much more alarming.

There I was, just standing out side with the Sarge, smoking and drinking coffee when I heard the call over the radio. Tossed my cigarette and my coffee and ran into the house. Banged my hand on the C-wing door coming around the corner....

And everybody was just standing there.

I thought "WTF???"

Apparently one of our wobbleheads wobbled his way on out the door when it opened for his medication and resisted a bit when they tried to put him back in. Hence, the call.

He got put back in the cell and nobody got hurt, except for me banging my hand and I'm good with that.

It's a judgment thing. I might not have called it. But then I wasn't there to see what happened. I'm sure our bubble officer is going to get some crap over people second-guessing her on that. It always happens.

An error on the side of caution is always forgivable. And I believe that's what she did. After all, he was a pretty big dude and it could have gone bad quickly.

It didn't, but if it had we would have had plenty of help plenty quick.

If you want to know how many people got your back working at the prison, just call for help. People will come out of the woodwork like kicking open a hornets nest.

It's a good feeling.

So even though we didn't really need anybody.......

For all of you who showed up, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

3 comments:

  1. I like your candid humor interpersed in your real life posts on the life of prison guard. You give us an opportunity to know what it's like for you guys, working behind those big forboding walls. Keep up the good work and keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronin- Thanks. It's nice to hear from other folk in the law enforcement trade now and then. Makes me think I haven't gone completely around the bend. And most of my co-workers are complete lunatics so they don't count. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prison GUARD.
    While I appriciate the "attaboy" given to you here, I wanna poke with a stick the people that say "guard" implying I'm standing outside the fence making sure no one gets in and steals an inmate.

    ReplyDelete