Monday, November 21, 2011

Let's Just Stop This Crap Right Now


You can read the whole story here.

Cell phones are becoming an epidemic problem in prisons all over the country. And something needs to be done about it now.

I'm not sure how many we find a year here in Raccoon City but it seems like every time I turn around somebody is finding another cell phone.

Not too long ago we got a call from a young lady who said that the man who victimized her had sent her a friend request on Facebook. I don't know her or him or what he did to her but from what I heard she was justifiably upset. We turned it over to the Captain on shift and hopefully he dealt with it appropriately.

I also don't know if he had a family member do that or if he did it himself over a cell phone.

But this kind of bullsnap has gone on too long and is becoming a real problem.

Cell phone trackers only work when the phones are on. Dogs can be trained to sniff them out but it takes a long time and is pretty expensive, from what I have been told.

How about jammers? I have seen them for sale on Ebay for fairly cheap. Let's turn each and every prison in this country into a cell phone "dead zone". Make sure that even if they do get a phone that it won't work inside the fence. Shut them down cold and hard.

Oh, what? Your cell phone doesn't get any reception in the parking lot? Well, too freaking bad. Drive a hundred yards away and you should be fine.

What's that? You are somebody important and you need to be connected to the world 24/7? Well, too bad, bundt cake! You aint that important.

The victims. They're more important than you. Society. The people we are protecting. Way more important. You can drive down the road just like anybody else.

And while we're at it, let's make possession of a cell phone in jail or prison considered an attempt to escape? Automatic?

Sounds like the possibility of another 8-10 years to me....

Okay, I'm done.

Storms rolling in anyway and I have to run.

Tuesday will be Start Your Own Country Day and National Cashew Day!

Nibble on something!

7 comments:

  1. I agree. And, I also think that if a family member were to set up an account for an inmate so that he can contact his victim, that family member should get punished as well. Hard to prove but definitly worth the time. As long as we can keep someone safe in this world so the same victim does not have to keep facing the same nightmare over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world! That's insane. It just blows my mind the things that people are capable of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the link you provided.

    Something is terribly wrong when a convicted criminal has access to the outside world as if he were free.
    How about actually making prison a place one would not want to end up in.

    I also like your thinking re no access to cell phones within a certain radius of a prison.

    Great post Rev.

    PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to prisoners to screw up something as simple as having cell phones.

    I remember I meant to ask if they had internet access in the prison. Me, I could probably do a year easy if I had a computer with internet access...and I was kept away from the rest of the prison population entirely. I would be too interested in the shankings, the beatings, and whatever goes on in the shower. (Tell me I've watched too many movies!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should be "wouldn't be too interested." *sigh* I think some typo gremlins are trying to make a fool out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been hearing about this on the radio recently. It's abhorrent! Inmates shouldn't be allowed access to cell phones, and visitors should be required to leave them in their cars or turn them over for safekeeping while visiting. No email or social networking privileges either. If there are computers, how about no internet access? Of course, could that be restricted to just the inmates and not the staff?

    ReplyDelete
  7. T.J.- We do need more laws in place. Charge them as stalking accomplices or something.

    Misty- This place never ceases to amaze me.

    Jenny- Yeah, whatever happened to prison being a punishment, after all?

    Bryan- They have no "legal" internet access in our prison. Any computers they have access to ares supposed to be not connected to any internet. Emphasis on the word "Supposed".

    You are having a time with the typo's aren't you?

    Lolamouse- Visitors aren't supposed to bring cell phones inside, but they sneak them in when they can. The inmates are not supposed to have any internet access at all. But they are criminals and think only of themselves, after all.

    ReplyDelete