Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mental Floss


I started a post last night about what I find amusing at work and how it would never be funny at home. The whole thing got rather dark and a bit ugly, so I dumped it. I think that sort of thing should just remain an inside joke. Our version of "whistling past the graveyard" wouldn't be understood by anyone who hadn't been where we have been. Every "profession" has these. One-liners and references that would seem bizarre or obscure or even twisted to the outsider have reams and reams of input for those in the know. Like the Masons secret handshake or trying to discern a Navy officers rank from the braid on his sleeve. We'll just keep that under our hat for now, I think. We always say to ourselves "If we couldn't laugh about it, we wouldn't be able to work here." And that's true enough. Sometimes it reminds me of M.A.S.H. The crazy things they did just to stay sane in the middle of the war. Except we don't get to make our own gin.

No comments:

Post a Comment