Friday, September 19, 2008

Kitting Up

Tis friday, which means it's my monday. Getting up and putting on my uniform the first day of the week always feels like I'm strapping on armor and preparing to go into battle. Have to make the transition from two days of just being "Dad" to being a corrections officer. This week is going to be strange, I can tell. I spent a whole day printing names on golf balls (a long story) and my fingers are stained blue from the ink. So I know I'm going to have to tell that story a bazillion times. Anything even slightly out of the ordinary, people notice and want all the details. For the most part, we are extremely detail-oriented. The smallest deviations can be a precursor to something coming down the road, and we've learned to look for those. And the offenders are mostly bored and looking for something to talk about and they notice new things fast. The last time I shaved off my moustache my wife and kids never even saw it, but guarantee that every single offender did and had to comment. They have learned that new things aren't always good, either. If something changes for us, it changes for them and they hate changes in their environment. I like to keep them on their toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment