Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Back To The Old Grind

Well, that lazy layabout Vinnie finally came back to work this weekend after being gone with a broken finger for over a month.

What with Stubby bidding back in and the delectable Miz Twang being back off light duty that means that my time in the fishbowl has probably come to an end for now.

I mean.... I'm glad Vinnie came back and Miz Twang is back at work and all... But I still have a lot to learn up there. Lots of things I don't know yet about working the control center.

But I learned enough to hopefully step up just in case we have a bad night and they need a pinch hitter, which is what I went up there for in the first place. Wasn't really looking to make a career of the place. But I am going to miss being up there in the thick of things.

On the other hand, the place was frightening and daunting and aggravating and sometimes very stressful. Things tend to happen quickly and there is a lot of responsibility up there when things go bad. You have to know how to make a decision and who to call when you don't have all the facts and all of the bazillion people who have to be kept in the loop at all times.

I don't think I'll miss that part of the job. Not so much. But I'll miss the people. Good folks, all of them. And if I had to be locked in a twelve foot square glass fish tank for eight hours, I don't think I could find a better crew to be locked in with.

Well, a couple of them could be more attractive, but that's neither here nor there. Just aesthetics. Ya know?

So I guess I'm just going back to being a utility infielder for now. The go anywhere and do anything and not complain too much about it guy. Well, except for those long distance outcounts, anyway. I'm not too good with those. I get lost easily. But other than that, I'm good.

I will kinda miss talking on the radio, though. Once I got used to it, that part was kind of fun.

Tuesday is going to be It's My Party Day, National Coming Out Day (oh, boy) and National Face Your Fears Day.

What if you're scared of coming out parties? That would be a tough one.

No comments:

Post a Comment