Thursday, January 26, 2012

It Takes The Right Kind Of Guy

It takes the right kind of guy to pull off wearing a hat like that.

Some people just look awesome in hats and some don't. Luckily, I'm one of the ones that does.

In my mind, anyway.

The hats we wear as supervisors have this brim on it that curves up all the way around like a freaking salad bowl. Or one of those dishes that you can put chips all the way around the outside and the salsa in the middle.

They look just slightly ridiculous and if you keep them that way they tend to hold alot of water when it rains. I found that out in a hurry.

And no matter what they say, every single supervisor alters the brim of their hat slightly in their own way. Nobody leaves them like they came out of the box.

So I took a page out of Uncle T's playbook and bent the front of my brim slightly down. More like a fedora. Then I wear it slightly cocked over my right eye for that dashing rake.

It takes alot of work to get a quality felt hat to conform the way you want it to. A lot of bending and shaping and sometimes a bit of steaming to get them just right. Mine is still a work in progress.

I had it just about right when I came in the other day. I got called into the Lt's office and Captain Crane took one look at me and said a bad word. Then he said "If I'd have known you were going to wear your hat like that, I would have never promoted you! Dammit! I thought you were Uncle T!"

I just grinned and stuck my tongue out at him.

He curls the sides of his up and makes it look tall and skinny like him.

Now, I'm no Humphrey Bogart, but I do know how to wear a hat. And even if it's a bit contrary at times, I'm growing into this one whether they like it or not.

Besides, Uncle T is going to retire in a few years and somebody has to look this good after he's gone, right?

It was a fairly good day in the Hive so it didn't make me too grumpy. I survived. And I'll be back there again on Friday. Yayyy....

Thursday is going to be Australia Day, National Peanut Brittle Day, Toad Hollow Day Of Encouragement and National Pistachio Day.

Nuts!

4 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, all men wore hats like in that picture, at least when they wanted to be dressed up. My daddy only wore one when we went to church, which was strange to me because the men had to remove their hats to go into the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna- I think it's sad that society no longer thinks stylish hats are the norm. I never feel right if I go out without a hat on.

      Delete
  2. Ha, I love that scene in the picture:

    "You always have a very smooth explanation."

    "What do you want me to do? Learn to Stutter?"

    Of course, there were plenty of great lines in that movie.

    ...and now, I must insist on a photo of this dang hat. I can't quite picture it. I'm thinking of some weird hat someone would wear in the outback or the jungle, the kind that's cocked on one side. But I doubt they'd have you wearing something crazy like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan- I'll give you a picture of the hat. And I loved that scene. Bogey and Lorre were quite a pair, weren't they?

      It's not a jungle hat or an Aussie hat. Not cocked that much.

      I'll show you.

      Delete