Saturday, August 7, 2010

Moving About

The one drawback to being a utility officer is that you never really know where you are going to be from day to day. I could write down the schedule for the whole week and it might be different by the time I am done writing it down.

When I came in yesterday I looked at where I was going to be today. Supposed to be 3 house. Cool, I can live with that. I know those guys.

By the time I had left last night I had gotten moved to 1 house. Well, okay. I know those guys too. A great crew. Yeah, okay. I can do that instead.

When I got in today the first thing Lt Gerber says to me is "I had to move you." Okey dokey! Where to now? The wobblehead house. Ohhhhhhhkey dokey, then!

For those of you who haven't been reading this drivel for the last two years, wobblehead is our term for the emotionally/mentally disturbed inmates, who spend most of their time tanked to the gills on thorazine and resperidol and other such fun things.

So I mosey on down to the house. I see a lot of very very familiar faces on the way down there. I go up into the bubble and grab the house rosters and start scanning names. How many of these knuckleheads did I have to slam or paint down in the Hive? How many of the have threatened to kill me?

Ummmmmmm........ pretty much all of them. All righty then! This could be interesting!

Turns out I was paranoid for nothing. Pretty much none of them wanted to have anything to do with me. Once there wasn't a closed cell door between us, anyway.

Hey, works for me.

Had a pretty uneventful night, for the most part. The only thing that happened was right at the end of shift when this knucklehead decided he was going on suicide watch. He didn't actually say that. What he said was he wanted to go on close observation. But unfortunately for him, we can't do that. The only thing we can do is put him on suicide watch.

Luckily for us, midnights showed up at just the right time and we handed him off to them.

That never happens. We took advantage of it and left.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing the definition of wobblehead was for me? lol You have explained it in previous posts, but thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete